it’s done! some immediate notes:
- these graphs are in no way representative of the one direction fandom as a whole, and it’s not my intention to stereotype any subsection of the fandom from these findings, or to skew any results in order to prove any point of my own
- there were around 1,500 responses to the original survey, which featured several multiple choice questions on age, ethnicity, favorites in the fandom, and fic
- you can open each image in a new tab to see a clearer picture, with more detail. some are lower quality than others, sorry about that
- for several charts i chose to leave out certain options, such as “prefer not to answer” for several questions, because they had so few respondents that they cluttered the charts, making them harder to read
- the same goes for harry/louis in certain charts, so many people responded that all detail was lost when the ship was included with the others that i decided to make them separate
- HERE IS A LINK to the first survey i did, which was more for my personal use (to complete a paper). i’ll compare a few parts of these results to those
now, about separate components of this massive post:
- age: i got a bit of an older audience this time, but this section doesn’t surprise me at all! it’s basically what i expected to see.
- sexuality: this time around i included more options for sexuality, which may have caused the number of people indicating “straight” to drop. the inclusion of curious, unsure, and prefer not to use labels made it easier for people to pick a title that fits them more closely, i think. this set of info roughly fits what i expected, too. (so does gender, so i won’t talk about that one.)
- ethnicity: i apologize for not having an option to check more than one of these specifically. i wanted to be as inclusive as possible while still getting concrete data that was easy to manipulate, and the best way to do that was only allowing a single selection ):
- favorite ship: i was definitely expecting a lot of favor for harry/louis but the number totally took me by surprise, honestly. i also didn’t know so many people loved harry/niall! in the “other” section i did get a lot of responses for harry/nick, and i wish i could’ve included more ships but 10 is already a big number to try and fit on the charts!!
- age + favorite ship: this is the first instance of splitting harry/louis from the others, just to make the charts easier to read. the best way to read this chart is to look at the age groups and notice which ship is most popular within each age bracket. for example, 19-21 year olds seem to really like ziam. it doesn’t serve to look at the chart as a whole and say that ziam is most popular with 19-21 year olds, because the number of people who responded from each age group isn’t equal. i hope this makes sense, but if it doesn’t, send me a message and i’ll try to be more clear :)
- i added in the harry/louis section just to give anyone who’s curious an idea of how many people from each age group responded.
- favorite album + music video: these were just for fun but they didn’t lend themselves well to interesting combo charts. i’m surprised so many people have midnight memories as a favorite album! and very proud so many people chose best song ever as the best music video 8)
- favorite member: THE CATEGORY THAT MADE ME MOST EXCITED: LOUIS IS THE WINNER!!! this says to me that my results are probably biased since i’m a louis stan, since it logically suggests that i may be followed by a lot of louis stans.
- fave member + fave ship: i like this combo chart, i think it’s really interesting. for the most part, people who liked a certain ship liked one of the people within the ship, which you can see pretty clearly. like harry/niall, harry stans and niall stans by FAR have the largest bar for that ship, and that is basically true across the board. zayn stans in particular have little time for any ship that doesn’t include zayn, too.
- i included harry/louis again because i think theirs is interesting in that the number of louis’ stans is much higher than harry’s. and also a bunch of niall people like harry/louis most?
- sexuality + fave member: this should be read like the other chart, looking at each individual sexuality and how the people within that group designated their faves
- i think this one is super interesting, because with the exception of those who identify as straight, EVERY group puts louis in the lead as favorite member. he did come out on top of the fave member question, but not by much; only 2% ahead of harry. this makes me wonder if people who identify as non-straight (the vast majority of which are women) see louis as more of an androgynous beauty, maybe even effeminate, or if there’s any projection of a sexuality onto him taking place. this is all speculation obviously, all i have to go on is the numbers. very cool though!
- ethnicity + fave member: i had a lot of asks about this after the results of the first survey, so i wanted to take a look at how it panned out. read this one the same as the others, e.g. out of those who identify as african, zayn is the ultimate favorite.
- fic stuff: these are self explanatory, peruse at your leisure :)
- secret relationships: i included more options for this question as well, based on the response i got from the first survey. this brought the “no” category down some, since a lot of people who chose it previously may have really meant “i’m not sure” or some other answer.
- you can see from the next question that although harry/louis is the majority choice, nearly every ship has a few stragglers who believe they may be or have been in a relationship. i’m sure some of them were joke answers, but i’m also sure that some weren’t!
- age + belief in secret relationships: overall this chart follows the number of people who responded for each age group, so it’s not generally interesting, but i AM intrigued by the “extreme” ages on the ends. both the youngest and the oldest fans who responded to the survey have a higher “yes” response than those in the middle of these age ranges.
AND THERE WE HAVE IT!! if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to send me a message. i’m not a professional at conducting surveys, so any mistakes here are my own. i hope you all find this as fun as i do!!!!
you know they say sleeping on your back supposedly shows you’re confident and ready to face the world or some bullshit while sleeping curled up on your side is supposedly meant to show you’re a tough person on the outside while being anxious and soft and sensitive on the inside lol this is hilarious this is really funny guys isn’t this funny im laughing
let’s talk about how louis literally has an entire other arm almost completely empty yet he’s still getting pretty sizable tattoos exclusively on one arm
I know another guy like that
louis gets his own website
louis becomes a cheerleader
louis gets married
Harry pulling Louis’ ponytail to expose his neck and bite him during the platonic activities ╮(─▽─)╭